Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Green peas pulao

Simply put, pulao is flavoured rice. Depending on what kind of spices are used, it would fall under more specific categories of Mediterranean or Asian cuisine. Does that really matter??? I doubt.

I am tagging this under Indian cuisine as I use garam masala. Of all the pulaos, this one is super simple, has a wonderful flavor,  and takes about 15 mins in all... A wonderful combination that makes me smile :)   

Basmati rice - 1 cup
Frozen green peas - half cup
Thinly sliced onions - 2 tbsp
Cloves - 4
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon sticks - 1 inch
Garam masala powder - a pinch (check notes)
Cilantro chopped - 2 tbsp
Cashews and raisins - 1 tbsp each (optional)
Oil - 1 tbsp

Wash the basmati rice and cook. If you are using a pressure cooker, add 1 cup of water to 1 cup of rice, use medium flame and wait for whistle. Switch off after first whistle and let it cool. Otherwise, add more than double the amount of water and cook in medium flame. Stir occasionally (take care not to break the rice), and drain the excess water when rice is cooked.

In a pan big enough to contain the rice, heat oil. Add cloves, cinnamon, fennel and cardamom. Stir for less than a min and add onions. When onion begins to brown, add green peas. Stir well , add salt and garam masala. Close the pan for 2 mins. Add cashews n raisins followed by rice. Mix well and add chopped cilantro. Close the lid and shut off the flame. And you are done...
This goes well with spicy Indian sides :)

Do not over cook rice. Drain the water when rice is 90% done, draining process will take care of the rest 10%.  In case, the rice is fully cooked before draining, run cold water through the rice before draining, this will prevent further cooking.

If you do not have garam masala powder, slightly muddle the cloves, cinnamon, fennel and cardamom together and throw in a pinch of black pepper powder... that would work just fine...

No comments:

Post a Comment